Thursday, January 24, 2013

#16: Brown Sequined Shirt

Hello. I'm working on a new piece right now, but I don't want to leave you hangin'! So here's an oldie but goodie.

I went thrift shopping with my mom and sister during the summer, and found this brown sequined top.


Before: Brown Sequined Top


It was nice and breezy, and I loved the gold shimmer, but some of the sequins were missing.


Missing sequins

I thought this would be a simple fix, but it ended up a little bit more challenging than I had anticipated.


I used a combination of a seam ripper and mini scissors to remove all of the sequins from the shirt. The hard part was that many of the sequins were sewn underneath the neckline and were really hard to get out, not to mention very sharp when cut!


Once I got them all off, I took a patterned sheen handkerchief I found at the dollar store that I thought would match, and I cut and pinned it to the top area of the shirt.


Close-up of the handkerchief pattern


I sewed on each side with the edges tucked in (frayed like crazy), but I kept the thin brown trim around the collar. And that was it.



After


After: With belt


Close-up of the new top


See, you don't have to do a lot to give new life to old clothes. I hope you liked the short and sweet re-do. Hopefully I'll be done with my next project soon! Until next time, blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment